Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Art of Togetherness





It may not be expensive, famous, tasteful, elegant or even properly hung, but it is ours and we made it together, as a family, and that is all that matters.


We live in an apartment and don't have a lot of money. The last thing we spend money on is decorating the place!  I figured we needed art work for our bare white walls that we would never get to paint. 


Now don't get us confused for the artsy type! Oh no! We are far from it!  In fact, I don't even think these painting will last another few moves because we didn't use oil paints or even canvas paint! We used the only kind of paint I had on hand, washable poster paint! (Which was actually a good idea because I was letting my just turned three year old at a paint brush!) I bought the canvases at Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off and a bag of various brushes that I figured would be used till the kids have gray hairs! (Every thing on a dime, remember?) I think the grand total was close to $25 for the canvases, brushes and these little round mirrors that my daughter and I both glued onto the painting after it was all dry. I already had the poster paint, (even that is pretty expensive!)  and I already had a can of  protective acrylic finish. (What kind of crafter doesn't have that item handy at all times?) 




We started by painting the background black a few times, so that our washable poster paints would pop! After letting the black dry we started the art!




Even though we did our art over a year ago my kids still know which painting belongs to whom. And what makes it even more of a joy is that they quiz all of our guests to figure out who's is who's.  


The simi-perfectionist in me (tad ocd) wanted so badly to correct my kids in their art but I held back and gave them full artistic control.  And even though that little pink shirt got paint all over it, I said nothing and just let it all sink in, knowing that our time together doing something for our home ment the world, no only to my husband and myself, but to my kids, who will always remember the time we created art!




Oh, and I forgot to mention that we were in the process of moving, so if you were wondering why there is no table in the dining room and why there are boxes everywhere, now you know. :P


Now go create some art with your kids!














Linked up at:




No comments:

Post a Comment