Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Re-purposed Glass Items


Just second hand junk from a thrift store you say? Well I see something a little different! I took these items and turned them into this:






But that's not all, there is a surprise ending so read the whole post! No cheating! And now I will show you how to re-purpose thrift store "junk" as you so called it, into something you will absolutely love! Stephanie's Tips: Choose glass items that have interesting cuts and are most pleasing to your tastes.


First things first; you know how everything at a thrift store has an invisible film of gunk that just seems to latch it's self onto every single item in the store, and manage to turn your hand black? OK so maybe your hand isn't black but it feels gritty and grimy and any other adjective you can think of that can describe it. Wash your hands! And you might as well wash the glass while you are there. No, seriously, wash those bad boys!




And if your glass has been priced with a permanent marker you should get a scrubby sponge to get that off. Use some elbow grease to get rid of it! Let them air dry and if you have water spots just wipe them clean with some glass cleaner.


After they are completely clean and dry you need to decide which pieces you want together. Decide how you want them set up and then get out your glass glue. I got mine from Wal-Mart, found it in the craft section. 




Super Nail 4 oz. Pure Acetone Polish Remover (Clear)It comes out pretty quick, that's why you need to have it all set up the way you want it so your not dripping glue all over the place and making a big mess or possibly even gluing it together the wrong way. Follow the directions on your glue. Mine told me to pull the pieces apart several times after putting on the glue for maximum bond. Mine also says to clean up excess dried glue using acetone, which is a good thing because I made a mess with the glue. Yes, I admit it! It's the glue's fault! Honestly! You believe me, don't you? Here is picture evidence:


Before clean up:




After clean up:




Before clean up (other piece):




After clean up (other piece):






At any rate, you can see the mess and you can also see that I glued the base of the cup to the base of the bowl. I thought this would be the easiest way to bond the two pieces together since there was more glass surface to be bonded, unlike at the rim of the cup. I did this the same way to the other two items, cup glued to candy dish/ash tray/I don't know what this item is called! I used a cotton ball to do the cleaning and it took a while to get it all cleaned up. Stephanie's Tips: Wear disposable gloves while using the acetone or you will ruin your natural nails.


Now you can end the process here and the end results are fabulous! You can use them in so many ways! The possibilities are practically endless.





You get the idea. But I decided to take it just a wee bit further and take these clear beauties and make them, um.....pink! I know, I know, it's kind of an obsession. I just love the color pink, you could say that 'pink is my favorite color'....

I have to stop breaking out in song like that. At any rate, yes I am going to spray paint them pink! You don't have to use pink or any color at all, just do what you like and find most appealing to your tastes.

So here is my final pieces! I love them so very much in pink!






Happy crafting/decorating!



Linked up at:

     Tip Junkie handmade projects  

6 comments:

  1. fun idea! I love thrift shopping. *visiting from tip junkie link party*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting! I'm glad you enjoyed all the girly pink as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool! Can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete